Since the day of its creation - March 7, 1887 - NC State has been moving forward.
And NC State still moves forward today. With more than 34,000 students and nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, North Carolina State University is a comprehensive university known for its leadership in education and research, and globally recognized for its science, technology, engineering and mathematics leadership.
NC State's research expenditures are approaching more than $325 million annually, with almost 70 percent of faculty engaged in sponsored research and 2,500 graduate students supported by research grants. NC State is ranked third among all public universities (without medical schools) in industry-sponsored research expenditures.
NC State University consists of 10 schools and colleges: College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Design, College of Education, College of Engineering, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Poole College of Management, College of Natural Resources, College of Sciences, College of Textiles, College of Veterinary Medicine as well as the First Year College and Graduate School.
For more information on NC State University, click here.
NC State Points of Pride
Designed to be a major competitive advantage for the university, the Hunt Library is a signature building that both enables and reflects NC State's vision as a preeminent technological research university recognized for its innovative education and research addressing the grand challenges of society. Its bold design is a visual statement of its bold purpose: to be a place not of the past but of the future, a place where our students, faculty, and partners can gather to research, learn, experiment, collaborate, and strengthen NC State's long tradition of leading transformative change.
The Hunt Library and the adjacent parking deck, campus infrastructure, and stream restoration were constructed with $115.2 million in state appropriations, plus donor support. The state-funded cost for the building itself was $93.75 million.
Primary users are faculty, students, and staff in engineering, textiles, and other science programs. As a second main library for the university, the Hunt Library also welcomes students, faculty, and partners from all disciplines.
Robot-driven bookBot automated book delivery system holds up to 2 million volumes in 1/9 the space of conventional shelving, enabling the library to provide more space for learning and collaboration. The bookBot is 50 feet wide by 160 feet long by 50 feet tall and is excavated 20 feet below the first floor.
The Boston Globe named the Hunt Library one of its "5 novel libraries" in April 2013
For more information on Hunt Library, click here.
NC State's Centennial Campus provides unparalleled access and proximity to researchers and students, giving our partners a R&D competitive advantage unlike anywhere else in the U.S.
Here is just a sampling of the resources available to partners on Centennial:
- The fourth largest engineering undergraduate program in the U.S. (and the top provider of new graduate hires for Cisco, IBM, NetApp, SAS & Duke Energy Progress)
- One of the top advanced analytics educational programs in the U.S.
- One of the oldest computer science departments in the U.S. and 4th largest in graduate degrees awarded
- The only NSF-funded smart grid research center in the U.S.
- The only NSF-funded center developing self-powered health monitoring sensors and devices
- One of the largest biomanufacturing training and educational facilities in the world
- One of the largest member-based nonwovens institute and research centers in the world
- The third highest ranked veterinary college in the U.S.
- One of the top digital games research centers in the U.S.
- The only North American location for a top French business school
- One of the largest constructed facilities labs in the U.S.
- The largest textiles college program in the U.S.
- The only next generation wireless test bed system in the U.S.
- The only North American research park with an aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscope
- The only research park in North America with a world-class research library (complete with an automated book retrieval system and about 100 technology-equipped, group study spaces)
- The only research park in the U.S. with a public middle school (next door to an educational research institute)
For more information on Centennial Campus, click here.